Friday, April 18, 2008

A Key Pennsylvania Endorsement

I know PA very well.

I did my Senior year of High School there in the center of the State, the area that James Carville dismisses as "Alabama". Beautiful and interesting, cold in the winter, humid in the summer. Not my idea of fun, but where my dad grew up, relatives lived, where in fact my family had lived long enough ago that two of them served in the Continental Army under Washington. And lived to tell the story. Pennsylvania in some respects has not changed much in the last two hundred and twenty years, in other ways it has changed markedly. Are poor people bitter there? I am guessing they probably are. Frustrated, concerned, upset over rising prices of food, gasoline and undoubtedly ammunition.

Not so different from a lot of rural parts of Oregon. A lot of Oregonians learned to hunt because it was a good way to keep from going hungry. It may be again some day. The same with Pennsylvania, where I believe the concept of "out of season" is taken fairly loosely, particularly if the meat source is on your property. Or close enough to make it easy to carry them. I saw a gas pump offering premium for $4.07 a gallon the other day. Gosh, I wonder why someone earning minimum wage would be bitter in this land of endless promise?

Arthur

No comments: