Saturday, June 5, 2010

Weekend Update - Waiting for Spring

(I'm up very early this morning. Something woke me with a kind of foreboding feeling, like something was about to happen, or perhaps the feeling animals have minutes before an earthquake. It was quiet. That was the problem. There was no water dripping in the downspout outside the bedroom window. Must have stopped raining for a moment, I thought to myself, and turned over to catch a few more winks. And then it happened. From under the very bottom of the curtain a shaft of intensely golden light appeared on the floor. Suddenly the cat and the dog both appeared and threw themselves on the floor in the light, tummies up. "Mother!" I yelled to my wife, "wake up! It's THE SUN! THE SUN!" My heart pounding with anticipation, I yanked clumsily at the shades, pulling one side completely off its hanger. With both hands I ripped open the curtain, just as the light disappeared back into the heavy layer of grayness. But for a fleeting moment, just one wonderful moment, I saw the sun. Thank you Jesus. 50% chance of showers this afternoon. But I digress ...)


  • The apocalyptic disaster that is the BP Oil Spill is one of the most depressing things I've ever seen on television news, right up there with the Katrina fiasco, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who has wondered if Louisiana and surrounding states are somehow cursed. I'm sure Pat Robertson thinks so, those oily, dying pelicans are probably gay. But our friend Mark Morford has found a sort of savage grace, a tragic and terrible beauty to it all. He writes "Behold, Our Dark, Magnificent Horror."

  • Some things in America, no matter how hard we try, will ever change. Like racism, for example. The election of Barak Obama to the office of President of the United States has apparently brought some very ugly white people out of their dirty little closets. Ladies and gentlemen I give you this disturbing little story from the weird state called Arizona: Click Here

  • Here's a fascinating-yet-very-disturbing Media Matters column by Ben Dimiero that once again finds Glenn Beck winning the Bad Hat Idiot of the Week Award. "The Glenn Beck Conundrum."

  • You just know this one is going to be oodles of fun. The corruption trial of former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich is finally getting under way, and right off the bat the judge appears to be just as batty as our beloved Blago. U.S. District Judge James Zagel did most of the questioning of potential jurors, a role he seemed to enjoy as he sometimes strayed from the relevant issues of jury service. He questioned 29 potential jurors on the first day of the selection process, joking with some and ripping into one whose flippancy had irked him. Watch this space.

  • George W. Bush was quoted recently as he commented on the role of religion in his life, "I prayed a lot. I really did. I prayed before every major speech. I prayed before debates. It was a very important experience." Well he might want to give up a little prayer that he isn't indicted for torture. Seems he also freely admitted he had Khalid Sheik Mohammed waterboarded, and even proudly added, "and I'd do it again ..." The only thing he didn't say was "So what are you gonna do about it?"

No comments: