Saturday, December 29, 2007

Sons

("Weekend Update" will be back next week. This week has been a trying one for several of us. My love to all of you, and best wishes for the best New Year ever.)



It's been a long week around the Bad Hat compound.

Christmas afternoon my son (Jonathan, 8) said he didn't feel well, and when this boy says he doesn't feel well, he means it. Jonathan hates being sick. He'll play through a temperature of 101 without even telling us. Oh, I know, kids get sick. At 62 years old I'm still just a novice at this, but I could tell he really didn't feel good. He even left several of his presents unopened. Bad sign.

His temperature hit 103 that afternoon, in spite of the Melt-a-Way Tylenol and Ibuprofen I stuffed down his throat.

The next day was the same. Fighting the temperature, 102 for a while, then 103, all day. That night, around midnight, his temperature hit 106.1. I had been frantically putting cold washcloths on his forehead, one every two minutes, but something had to be done. His Mom was beginning to really panic and suggested we call 911 and get him to the hospital. She suggested we put him in the bathtub and cool him off with tepid water (what temperature is "tepid?) so we did, twice during the course. It seemed to help a bit, so I held off taking him to the E Room (in the middle of the night) and pumped more Ibuprofen into him. Before dawn, his temperature was back down to 102.

The next day we, of course, got him to the doctor and Dr. Johnson said he had the flu. He said we were doing everything good, and that he'd be okay in a week or so.

Jonathan is still very sick. His temperature goes from almost normal now to about 102, then back down. He feels miserable and this is the sickest he's ever been in his short life. But he's handling it like a trooper, and being very brave. He still has presents he hasn't opened yet. I, on the other hand, am a nervous wreck.

My friend Bob Neis lost his son on December 18th. Adam Tyler Neis was only 35 years old. Goddamned diabetes. I've known Bob for 35 years, and knew Adam as a great kid. I went to Adam's funeral today, and there were a lot of people there, besides us old guys there were a quite a few young people who knew Adam well. They all spoke of a young man who loved life and loved his friends, and one speaker said it was a revelation to him that there was not one thing about Adam he didn't like. Adam will be missed. He was a great kid.

And so I pause for a moment in all this nonsense of politics, to consider our children. And today in particular, our sons. Arthur has two of them, I haven't had the honor of meeting either of them, but from their pictures I see the greatness Arthur has passed on to them. Uncle Bob has a wonderful and extended family, and his son Steve is someone I've proclaimed "the nicest guy I've ever met."

Bob Neis did very well today. Better, I know, than I could have ever done. Bob said something very true. "You're not supposed to outlive your children."

Before this year is out, before the new year begins, I ask that each of you, if you have children, give them a big hug. I don't care how old they are, just give them a hug. Tight, and close.

Hug them for as long as they will let you.

Love, JP

1 comment:

Rhonda Neis said...

I don't know how I never came across this, but thank you for the sweet words about Adam...I miss him everyday.
Rhonda Neis (Adam's cousin)