Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

(Haven't posted in a while, just now recovering from the season's first cold.  I'm going to attempt to post this entry with as little political items as possible.  The Romney campaign is so pathetically boring there's not much to be said anyway.  The first round of debates is scheduled for this Wednesday, and they should be good for a hoot or two, but for the most part this campaign is all but done.  I read somewhere there is over a 95% chance Obama will win reelection.  Turn out the lights, the Republican party is over.  But I digress ...)
  • Good news came to us guys this week in the form of a little postcard size piece of papyrus that apparently quotes Jesus (yes, THAT Jesus) as referring to "my wife."  Well now, that puts a whole new spin on "WWJD?" When you factor in the idea that he not only lived with a woman other than his mother, he was probably touching naughty parts and cleaving away with gusto, then he becomes a bit easier to relate to. And I supposed the Pope will now allow priests to marry, which means the pedophiles will have to move back to the Boy Scouts.  I bet the sermons at church last Sunday were fascinating.  Mark Morford reports "Jesus, I'm Married!"
  • Rep. Michelle Bachmann (R-Batshit) slimed her way into a Chicago synagogue on the eve of Yom Kippur the other night, and just the fact that she was in attendance so irritated some of the congregants they immediately went out and donated to her opposition.  "The holiness of the room and the holiness of the evening was greatly diminished for me, if not completely destroyed," said Gary Sircus, a 25-year member of Anshe Emet Synagogue.  All this in spite of the fact that Bachmann is supposedly a big supporter of Israel.  So what is it about this idiot woman that has them all fired up?  Bachmann is anti-gay rights.  Sounds like this country is finally starting to wake up.
  • And on a related note, "California has become the first state to ban a controversial form of psychotherapy aimed at making gay teenagers straight."  What?  One would think we'd be reading about some state being the LAST state to ban this insanity.  Okay, okay, at least it's a start.
  • Two items in the newspaper this morning have alarmed me about the state of our existence.  First, they're recalling peanut butter.  Peanut butter!  For crissakes, I can understand worrying about washing your vegetables before eating and not leaving potato salad out in the sun too long and refrigerating leftovers, but peanut butter?  Peanut butter is the staple of the earth.  If I was trapped on a desert island with only one thing to eat it would be peanut better.  Come on. Sorry, some things just piss me off.  Oh, and the other thing?  Some farmer in Bandon, Oregon was eaten by his hogs.  Coos County District Attorney Paul Frasier reported that the 69-year-old farmer's remains were found last Wednesday in a hog enclosure at his farm.  The remains consisted of his dentures, and several body parts.  The article didn't report what parts those were.  And what are you having for dinner tonight?
  • And finally, allow me to pass on to you this fascinating article by Robert Jensen entitled From Start to Finish: Why We Won and How We Are Losing.  It's rather long, but if you've got the time ... Click Here

3 comments:

Montag said...

I think one of the best discussions on celibacy and marriage is Gary Wills' section on it in "Bare Ruined Choirs" from 1971.

The article I read on the pig farmer intimated that some of the porkers may have had it in for him, sort of a revenge thing.
I assume the farmers feet were left uneaten... but pickled!

E.P. Rush said...

One of the reasons I never became a farmer is because pigs don't like me for some reason. Neither do horses. I'm not fond of either one of them, but now I have nightmares about being eaten by pigs. I wonder if Whole Foods has pickled farmer's feet?

Jon said...

"I read somewhere there is over a 95% chance Obama will win reelection. Turn out the lights, the Republican party is over. But I digress ...)"

Speaking of pigs:

If ya'll buy this little prediction, the old idiom 'Pig in a Poke' comes to mind.